The Ark Sakura
- Schrijver: Kobo Abe (Japan)
- Soort boek: Japanse science fiction roman
- Origineel: 方舟さくら丸 / Hakobune sakura maru (1984)
- Engelse vertaling: Juliet Winters Carpenter
- Uitgever: Penguin Science Fiction
- Verschijnt: 3 juni 2021
- Omvang: 384 pagina’s
- Uitgave: Paperback / Ebook
- Boek bestellen bij: Bol / Boekhandel
Flaptekst van de science fiction roman van Kobo Abe
In anticipation of a coming nuclear apocalypse, Mole has converted a huge underground quarry into an ‘ark’. While searching for his crew, he falls for the tricks of a wily insect dealer and his friends. In the surreal drama that ensues, the ark is invaded by first a gang of youths and then a sinister group of elderly people, before Mole himself becomes trapped in the ark’s central piece of equipment – a giant toilet powerful enough to flush almost anything out to sea . . .
A science-fiction classic from acclaimed Japanese novelist Kobe Abe, The Ark Sakura’s Kafkaesque embrace of nuclear disaster and ecological catastrophe is at turns both hilarious and desperate.