Crossing the Mangrove
- Schrijfster: Maryse Condé (Guadeloupe)
- Soort boek: roman uit Guadeloupe
- Origineel: Traversée de la mangrove (1989)
- Engelse vertaling:
- Uitgever: Penguin Modern Classics
- Verschijnt: 2 september 2021
- Omvang: 208 pagina’s
- Uitgave: Paperback / Ebook
Flaptekst van de roman van Maryse Condé
Francis Sancher, a handsome outsider, loved by some and reviled by others, is found dead, face down in the mud on a path outside Riviere au Sel, a small village in Guadeloupe. No one is particularly surprised since Sancher, a secretive and melancholy man, had often predicted an unnatural death for himself. As the villagers come to pay their respects, they each reveal another piece of the mystery behind his life and death.
Like pieces of an elaborate puzzle, their memories interlock to create a rich and intriguing portrait of a man and a community. A beautifully crafted, Rashomon-like novel, this gripping story, first published in France in 1989, is imbued with all the nuances and traditions of Caribbean culture.