- Schrijver: Richard Wright (Verenigde Staten)
- Soort boek: Afro-Amerikaanse roman
- Taal: Engels
- Eerste druk: 1953
- Uitgever heruitgave: Vintage Classics
- Verschijnt: 18 maart 2021
- Omvang: 512 pagina’s
- Uitgave: Paperback / Ebook
Recensie en waardering van de roman The Outsider
- “Powerful as Richard Wright was – is – as a writer, nobody can surpass him in doing certain kinds of writing… He is courageous – he was able to look into areas that nobody at that time was willing to look at.” (Toni Morrison)
Flaptekst van de roman van de Afro-Amerikaanse schrijver Richard Wright
Cross Damon is disenchanted. At odds with society, and with himself, his idealism and sense of alienation have driven him to drink and incessant reflection. But when Cross is mistakenly reported to have died, he is suddenly free to put his ideals to the test – and a reign of terror and destruction ensues.
A counterpart to Wright’s 1940 novel, Native Son, The Outsider is Wright’s existential masterpiece. An epic exploration of criminality and oppression its publication established Wright as America’s most daring, and damning writers.