To Kill A Mockingbird
- Schrijfster: Harper Lee (Verenigde Staten)
- Soort boek: Amerikaanse roman
- Verschenen: 1960
- Uitgever heruitgave: Vintage Classics
- Verschijnt: 4 maart 2021
- Omvang: 384 pagina’s
- Uitgave: paperback / ebook
- Pulitzer Prize for Fiction 1961
- Nederlandse vertaling: Spaar de spotvogel
Recensie en waardering voor de roman
- “Skilled, unpretentious and tototally ingenuous . . . tough, melodramatic, acute, funny.” (The New Yorker)
Flaptekst van de roman van Harper Lee
‘It was times like these when I thought my father, who hated guns and had never been to any wars, was the bravest man who ever lived.
Summers for Scout in the Deep South are long and golden. Her story is one of innocence, and growing up. It is also about justice. When Scout’s father Atticus Finch, a lawyer, agrees to defend a black man against an accusation by a white girl, he takes on the prejudice of the whole town. Through the case, Atticus teaches Scout that your imagination is not just for childhood games, but for understanding other people. Because you never really know a man until you stand in his shoes and walk around in them.
This evocative, funny, anti-racist novel has charmed and inspired generations. No matter if you didn’t read it as a child. It is for everyone.