- Schrijver: Murray Bail (Australië)
- Soort boek: Australische roman
- Taal: Engels
- Verschenen: 1998
- Hertuitgave: Vintage Classics
- Verschijnt: 1 juli 2021
- Omvang: 272 pagina’s
- Uitgave: paperback / ebook
Recensie en waardering van de roman
- “A masterpiece. A novel of high seriousness and higher playfulness.” (Michael Hulse, Spectator)
- “Murray Bail is the warmest and quick-witted of storytellers. You will never forget what is at the heart of this book: one of the great and most surprising courtships in literature.” (Michael Ondaatje)
Flaptekst van de roman van Murray Bail
On a property in New South Wales, a man named Holland lives with his daughter, Ellen. As years pass and Ellen grows into a beautiful young woman, her father announces his decision: she will marry the first man who can name all the eucalypts, down to the last tree.
As suitors clamber to meet Holland’s challenge, Ellen encounters a strange young man among her father’s trees – a storyteller, with enchanting tales of faraway lands.